Marina Tsvetaeva: My Verse (From Russian)

My Verse
By Marina Tsvetaeva
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

My verse written so early in my life
I didn't know I was a poet yet,
My verse which burst off, like drops from a fountain,
Or sparks from rocket jets;

And burst like tiny demons through the holy
Sanctum where sleep and incense come together;
My verse that went on about death and youth
In lines unread as ever,

Thrown all around amid the dust of bookstores, 
Unpurchased then or now by anyone,
My verse in store like precious wine awaits
Its time. Its time will come.

Audio of me reciting this poem in Russian

The Original:

Моим стихам, написанным так рано,
Что и не знала я, что я - поэт,
Сорвавшимся, как брызги из фонтана,
Как искры из ракет,

Ворвавшимся, как маленькие черти,
В святилище, где сон и фимиам,
Моим стихам о юности и смерти,
- Нечитанным стихам! -

Разбросанным в пыли по магазинам
(Где их никто не брал и не берет!),
Моим стихам, как драгоценным винам,
Настанет свой черед.

No comments:

Post a Comment